Modern SharePoint Development completely changed the skill set required to be successful in Office 365 and SharePoint Online. SharePoint developer/Architect should change there skill set as a front-end web developer. i.e., a big changes coming that will bring a new user experience and also a radically different development model.
Preparation for developers
- Client web parts and client-side applications are the new building blocks
- You should learn Typescript for Modules.
- You no longer NEED to work in Visual Studio versions, just move to free Visual Studio code and should learn VS code.
- JSON for Manifest and packaging solution.
- To Host – WebPart can live anywhere, they don’t have to live in SharePoint. Example: CDN or any website you host.
- The “local development” model is very different – Gulp and node.js are used to host files locally, so you don’t need to use IIS on your local machine.
- SharePoint Web hooks – these are the new “event receivers”
- No Visual Studio
- No SharePoint Environment
- No IFrame
- Local Desktop is enough for Development
Need Server Side Web part only for below scenarios
- Microsoft releasing the first version now, so publishing sites will continue to use master pages and page layouts. Later they bring new features.
This all together Microsoft building a SharePoint framework for developers.
I am going to start my journey with Modern SharePoint Development and going to share my experience here. so that I invite SharePoint developers to follow along with my journey to learn and Implement together…